Contributed by Arch Aitcheson of Temecula, CA — Scottish grandmother’s (Marion Niven Aitcheson) shortbread recipe. It is a tradition for four generations on this side of the pond! Buttery and yummy!
1lb unsalted butter
5 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- Preheat oben to 350 degrees F
- Cream butter and sugar with mixer.
- Add flour and mix with a wooden spoon and use hands to thoroughly mix.
- Press into a jelly roll pan. Prick to the bottom of the pan with a fork, making sure that the fork hits the bottom and the marks are close together.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 300 F and continue to bake for 40 minutes more.
- Let pan cool on a rack after baking for 2 minutes and then cut into finger-sized bars. Let the cut bars cool thoroughly in the pan.
Makes approximately 36 bars.
Did you try this recipe? Let us know how it went!